Move over boys, we are taking a look at the best compound bows that are available to women and younger girls. These esthetically pleasing pieces of hunting and targeting equipment are designed for durability and meant to last. Whether your little girl wants to learn to shoot like Katniss Everdeen or perhaps you are looking for your own ladies-only bow, the following selection of compound bows are a wonderful place to start looking. We have found high quality products to compliment any budget so take a peek and get ready to start hitting that bulls-eye!
A History of Females in Archery
Unlike many other sports, females are not uncommon in archery. Even the ancient Greek and Roman Gods portrayed strong female Goddesses of the hunt like Diana and Artemis. These famous females are well known for their portrayal of having a quiver, bow and arrows by their sides as they stand with their hunting dogs or prey. By the mid-1800’s, archery was a popular sport and was considered a valuable teaching tool for manual dexterity. British royalty, including Queen Victoria, often practiced archery and it was not uncommon to see many women participating alongside men in organized competitive archery tournaments.
One modern influence on today’s females and the revival of this sport are a wide range of strong heroines in novels and on film. The popularity of highly skilled female archers in pop culture have caused an increase in interest for little girls and young women to pick up their first bow and arrow. Some of the more popular figures include;
- Susan Pevensie: Susan is the second oldest sibling in the Chronicles of Narnia books and films. When she was 12 years old she was given a bow and arrows from Father Christmas and is soon using her archery skills in battle.
- Neytiri: This Na’vi princess in Avatar is the main character’s love interest.
- Elektra Natchios: Jennifer Garner played superhero Elektra in 2005. This character was based on a comic-book and is an international assassin. Although her trademark weapon is a sai, she does demonstrate her archery skills using a compound bow in the film.
- Abigail Whistler: In the 2004 Blade: Trinity release, Jessica Biel played a vampire hunter whose go-to weapon of choice was a compound bow.
- Isabel: In 2011 Your Highness was released. In this medieval comedy, Natalie Portman played Isabel. This female archer joins forces with brothers Fabious and Thadeous after rescuing them at the beginning of the movie.
- Princess Merida: In true independent princess style, the main character of Brave challenges her less than desirable suitors to an archery contest in order to win her hand in marriage. Needless to say, she blows them away.
- Katniss Everdeen: One of the most popular female archers of our popular culture generation would have to be the star of The Hunger Games trilogy. She is an accomplished hunter and then turns those archery skills to her survival and self defense.
Best Womens Compound Bow Reviews
This bow is specifically designed to accommodate smaller-framed shooters to use through into their adulthood. This fully adjustable unit has a draw length range from 13 to 30 inches and an adjustable draw weight ranging from 5 to 70 pounds. These features make the bow ideal for hunters or target shooters of all skillsets. This left handed package includes the bow, a 3 pin sight, a hostage XL arrow rest, an octane deadlock lite quiver, tube peep sight and BCY string loop making its price incredibly reasonable. This package has earned itself a well-deserved and almost perfect rating from customers who are claiming that this is the best bow they have ever purchased. Customers are pleased with the quality and the flexibility of the draw strength which allows them to pass the bow down from mother to daughter.
This set is a perfect children’s beginner compound bow that is set to 18 pounds of draw strength. The handle is meant to be ambidextrous and is reinforced for durability. Included are finger rollers, adjustable pin sight and 2 arrows. In addition to this perfect little beginner’s package, this Barnett product has a limited five-year manufacturer’s warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. This exceptionally cost effective children’s beginners bow comes in at an extremely reasonable price and has earned fantastic reviews. Some customers have had issues with the string coming off the bow, but Barnett’s customer service is quick and friendly and they have replaced any defects immediately. For anyone looking to introduce their little boys or girls to archery, this is an ideal product. It comes in a variety of colors to suit most children.
The Quest Radical RH Package is an elegant product that features a forged 6061 aluminum riser with an aesthetically pleasing purple finish. The variable draw length ranges from 17.5 to 30 inches and an adjustable draw weight ranges between 15 and 70 pounds. The package includes a string suppressor, 6 arrow head-lock quiver, halo rest, stabilizer, wrist sling, peep and a tool-less 4-pin sight. The package has earned solid reviews overall on Amazon. Customers who were unsatisfied indicated that they were happy with the product but unsatisfied with the customer service from the company. All other customers were extremely satisfied with the quality, value and aesthetic appeal.
Final Thoughts on The Best Compound Bows for Women
No matter if you’re looking for a compound bow for an experienced bow hunter or a toy for a little girl, one of the three compound bows will certainly do the trick.